Skip to content
- large frying pan
- medium sized bowl
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- food processor
- 2 forks
- large knife
- pairing knife
- 2 large Russet Potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of matza meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pepper
Sizzling: When the raw latke is placed in the frying pan, it should sizzle. If it does not, then the oil is not hot enough.
Salt: I am not a fan of salt. I rarely use it. However, latkes need salt.
Garlic: The secret to my latkes is garlic.
- Cut potatoes and onions so you can feed them into the food processor.
- Mince the garlic
- Beat the eggs and add salt, pepper and minced garlic
- Put potatoes and onions in food processor and transfer to larg bowl.
- Add matza meal and eggs to bowl and combine
- Heat frying pan on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add enough olive oil to cover 1/8th inch of frying pan.
- Let the oil heat up for 1 minute.
- With your hands take 1-2 tablespoons of the potato mixture and form into a flat 1/4 inch oval.
- Place it into the pan. The pan should sizzle. If it does not, wait another 30 before putting in the next latke.
- If it still does not sizzle, raise the flame slightly.
- After 4-5 minutes, the latke should be ready to be turned over.
- Cook for another 3 minutes on the other side. You may need to flip the latkes over a few more times.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.